A Wrongful Death Lawsuit is a claim against a person who can be held liable for a wrongful death. If a loved one has died as a result of another party’s negligence, including wrongful death malpractice, a wrongful death attorney can evaluate the case and determine wrongful death damages in accordance with wrongful death law.
How a Wrongful Death May Occur
Wrongful death claims may be brought against the individual(s) responsible and can also be brought against public agencies that may be responsible for death, including a city or state, a city jail, state prison, state or private hospital, school, public company, nursing home, etc.
A wrongful death can occur in a number of circumstances, including:
• slip and fall (premise) injury
• car or other vehicle accidents
• nursing home abuse
• work related injury
• defective drug injury
• dog bite injury, and
• defective product injuries.
Making a Wrongful Death Claim
A wrongful death claim generally consists of the following: The death was caused, in whole or part, by the conduct of the defendant; the defendant was negligent or strictly liable for the victim’s death; there is a surviving spouse, children, beneficiaries or dependents; and monetary damages have resulted from the victim’s death.
Typically, a wrongful death lawyer seeks to obtain damages for the victim’s family which may include:
• Immediate expenses associated with the death (medical & funeral);
• Loss of victim’s anticipated earnings in the future until time of retirement or death;
• Loss of benefits caused by the victim’s death (pension, medical coverage, etc.);
• Loss of inheritance caused by the untimely death;
• Pain and suffering, or mental anguish to the survivors;
• Loss of care, protection, companionship to the survivors;
• General damages;
• Punitive damages
If you have lost a loved one as a result of another’s negligence or intentional conduct, we are here for you.
Call us at 818-757-7292 or contact us online to talk to us about your situation. You never charged a fee unless we obtain compensation for you.